Friday, November 20, 2009

Listen to the Stories- Tell Yours Later




Proverbs 15:22  Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.

A common mistake of leaders when joining a new organization (company, church, social group) is to move forward with an agenda without considering the history of the organization and its members. Even though you may hear a few perspectives, never let a few snapshots paint the whole picture. Ask tough questions, listen to the stories, and research the history of the organization and its people. Savior mentalities are sure to cause hurt feelings, unnecessary work and thus, the progress of your organization.

If you've been given the opportunity to lead a new organization, take time to learn about its history, its leaders and the people that currently run it. You may be surprised. In most cases, organizations and churches don't stay open long unless it has a strong history at some point- maybe even innovative. Why would this be helpful to you? Simply put, some people come into an organization or join a church as the self-labeled (whether consciously or not) "savior", but eventually they take on a burden not meant for them. After a short time, burn out is staring at you down the road where resentment befriends weariness.

John 15:4-5
4Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
5"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

What was meant as whole "Body" or complete Team participation becomes relegated to people looking to a “savior”. No one is meant to be a savior- no one. That role is strictly reserved for one and one alone- Jesus. There are no superstars in ministry just fellow servants. When you identify yourself as a servant you communicate you are part of the team. Even though you may be exceptional, you still need a team to move forward.

We are saved for community. No man is an island, not even the Savior.

Jesus, I need your help today. I trust in you. I lack nothing. Thank you for the skills and traits you've given me that makes me who I am. I offer my life as a living sacrifice that it would bring You glory, because in the end, it’s all about You. Amen.

No comments: